Tourists are visiting people from other civilizations, however your own civilization also has a pool of citizens Domestic Tourists which may prefer to stay local rather than be tourists in other civilizations.
Tourists may be drawn to your civilization in a number of ways:
- Trade Routes
- Shared (or conflicting) late game Governments
- Open Borders
- Great Works housed in your civilization.
- Holy Cities and Relics housed in your civilization will draw tourists of your Religion.
- National Parks in your territory (the higher the Appeal, the more tourism)
- Finding and housing Artifacts in your civilization.
- Tourism Boosters